Sunrise at the Marsh

 

Sunrise at the Marsh
Loblolly Marsh Nature Preserve
Sunday March 5, 2023  
Prose and Photos by Melissa Fey


I walked the road south knowing there would be little or no traffic. The road was flooded and only the foolish would attempt crossing it.

The trees were filled with Red-winged Blackbirds.  Their songs were loud and boisterous. They were at the top of the trees to catch the first morning light.





As I walked I recorded the sounds of the Blackbirds along with Song Sparrows, Mourning Doves, American Tree Sparrows, American Robins and, of course, the Canada Goose.

Have you ever heard the thumping noise of the wings of the Canada Goose as they take off over water? It is quite impressive.

I also heard the wing beats of the Song Sparrows as they flew past me.  This is what the stillness  of the morning will allow you to hear.

After passing the bridge over the Loblolly Creek, I noticed the sun peaking over the horizon.  As I continued to walk, the sun rose higher in its magnificent glory.







I walked to the road’s edge and then turned back, the Sun continuing its path up and up.



After crossing back over the bridge, I noticed that the Blackbirds had exited the treetops and were now on the plants above the water on the opposite side of the road.  Noisily foraging.

There were paths cleared in the plants were something large had swam through.





I continued back to the forest edge, to walk the Upland Trail.  I noticed here the birds were different than at the Marsh.  The sparrows were still singing, but now I also heard Northern Cardinals, Tufted-Titmouse, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Brown-headed cowbird, Blue-Jays and White-Breasted Nuthatches.  The woods were alive with different songs. 




Once in the woods, I heard and saw, Northern Flickers and a pair of large Pileated Woodpeckers. 

I sat under a tree for a bit and transcribed the notes of what I saw and heard.  While there I heard a woodpecker pounding away at the tree, shortly there was a very loud chatter.  He must have disturbed a squirrel, because this chatter went on for awhile and then I saw the bird fly away. 

Plants were waking up after a long Winter's nap




Small Jacob's Ladder leaf at the base of a tree










Moss growing on a tree trunk









Turkey Tail Mushrooms




As the morning warmed up, the Spring Peepers woke up and joined in a chorus from the flooded waters. 

All the sounds  were a welcome respite after the quiet cold Winter. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Yellows - Early Morning Hike at Loblolly Marsh NP

White Oak Cemetery - February 4, 2023