The Yellows - Early Morning Hike at Loblolly Marsh NP


 September 2, 2024 Labor Day - Early morning hike at Loblolly Marsh Nature Preserve

Words and photos by Melissa Fey


I was excited to wake up early this morning, long before the sun thought about rising.  I hurried to the marsh, donned by Muck Boots and hit the trail.  I like to make this hike at least once a year, normally in late Summer.   You see this is when the 'Yellows' are blooming.  (you will soon see what I am talking about)

Yes, it was cold this morning, 52*.  But after the heat of last week, if felt refreshing.  I was out of the parking lot by 6:45am, plenty of time to get to the where I wanted to be to watch the sun rise.  

This trail doesn't have a name, that I know of.  I starts just south of the bridge over the Loblolly Creek going east following the creek until there is a ditch coming in from the south,

It didn't take long before the wildflowers were lining the trail.


False Sunflower

Canada Goldenrod


Pokeweed (okay not a sunflower)

Field Thistle

Wingstem

I arrived at the back of the trail where the ditch enters from the south just in time.   The sun had just crested the horizon.  The first light of day could be seen on the leaves of the trees above Loblolly Creek.



The trail turns south here following the ditch.  I scared a Red-Shouldered hawk on the other side of the ditch.  I also saw one flying across in front of me.  Later I heard them calling in the woods to the north of the creek.

More wildflowers lined the path.
Creeping Thistle

Maximilian Sunflower

Jerusalem Artichoke





Ironweed


Finally I had arrived at my destination.  The place where the 'Yellows' reside.



So many different 'Yellows'!!!!   False Sunflower, Canada Goldenrod, Sawtooth Sunflower.  The hillside was bathed in yellow.  It begs to ask the question, why are there so many yellow flowers this time of year?  Is it because the sun is so strong and out for so long that they draw their strength and color from it?    I am sure there is a scientific explanation, but for now I will just ponder the question and enjoy the 'yellow' view!

Here the trail turns back west and goes straight through the middle of the prairie.  The south side is full of 'yellows', while the north side is content to grow Big Blue Stem.  

Further up the trail there were some Sweet Coneflower.  Easy to distinguish from the other 'yellows' because of the large brown "cone" at is center.


I noticed one plant of Boneset.  Odd that it was by itself.


The hills were covered with different grasses that made a nice backdrop for the 'Yellows'.

Sawtooth Sunflower




Switchgrass

Yellow Indiangrass

Big Bluestem


The sun was climbing higher in the sky now, bathing the prairie with its morning light.  I remembered something I had seen written in chalk in the parking lot as I left the car.  "Sew with Threads of Light"
How appropriate for this morning.



I finally reached the road and headed back south towards the parking lot.   I noticed how the Wild Cucumber was growing with abandon and covering the ground and trees along the west side of the road.  It appears that the Marsh has its own Kudzu problem.  Wild Cucumber is a Native Plant but is acting more like an invasive in this case. 
Wild Cucumber




Wild Cucumber Vines covering everything.



Walking across the bridge over the Loblolly Creek I looked over the railing and noticed the 
Apple Snails in the water.  They are rather large and easy to spot.


Apple Snails

As I approached the parking lot I was happy that I had got up early to enjoy this beautiful morning and the 'Yellows' of the Marsh Prairie.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Oak Cemetery - February 4, 2023

Sunrise at the Marsh